About the Poster: The Illustrated London News appeared first on Saturday 14 May 1842, as the world's first illustrated weekly news magazine. Founded by Herbert Ingram, it appeared weekly until 1971, then less frequently thereafter, and ceased publication in 2003.
This small engraving is captioned "Torch Light Procession in the Place D'Armes, at Montreal" ...
A little Place D'Armes trivia: Place d'Armes is the second oldest public site in Montreal. It was called Place de la Fabrique when it was first developed in 1693, at the request of the Sulpicians, then later renamed Place d'Armes in 1721 when it became the stage of various military events. From 1781 to 1813, it was used as a hay and wood market, then developed as a Victorian garden after it was acquired by the city in 1836.
The current dimensions of Place d’Armes correspond roughly to a plan begun in 1845 and completed in 1850, when Notre-Dame Street was completed. It was not until the demolition of the Notre Dame Basilica in 1830, and its bell tower in 1843, that the square would assume its current size.
Professionally matted in an antiqued white mat, this engraving is ready to frame. A perfect gift for a historian or any Montrealer!