Size: 7.5 x 4.25 inches
Artist: Richard Rump
The company B. Sprengel & Co. was founded in 1851 by Carl August Bernhard Sprengel in Harburg near Hamburg. Two years later, the company moved to Hanover, where it became the "Royal Court Supplier". From the company's founding, Sprengel's trademarks were a beehive and the color orange. In addition to the classic 100g chocolate bar, other sweets with chocolate coating were also part of the Sprengel range. In 1936 Sprengel was recognized as important for the military industry because it produced the food Scho-Ka-Kola, commonly provided to Luftwaffe pilot and crew rations to induce or extend wakefulness and alertness. After the Second World War, the chocolate production was resumed in 1948 and Sprengel became the largest company in the industry.
This packaging for a brandy and strawberry-infused chocolate was designed by Richard Rump. Rump made other advertisements for Sprengel in the 1920s, but this box is particularly beautiful: with its embossed printing, bright saturated colours, gold inking, this artwork would be perfect for any office, kitchen, or even bathroom!