Size: 17.5 x 23.5 inches
Artist: Georges Dayez (After)
A close friend of the French painter Edouard Pignon, the two artists painted together, studied art and visited museums. 1931, Dayez and Pignon traveled around the Côte d’Azur. The following year, both artists exhibited in the Salon des Indépendants. Dayez and Pignon joined Henri Barbusse, painters Hélion and Herbin, sculptor Adam, the October Group, as well as the writers Dabit and Nizan, and the poets Aragon and Eluard to form l’Association des Ecrivains et Artistes Révolutionnaires (A.E.A.R.). The goal of the organization was to create an art form that conveyed the struggles of the working class. The collective’s objective was to address the rise of fascism and the threat of war. With the onset of World War II, Dayez joined the French 58th Infantry Division; he was stationed north of Metz.
Dayez’s work is found in the collections of numerous museums, including: La Chaux-de-Fonds, Göteborg, Tolède, Le Havre, Luxembourg, Finlande, Paris, Skoplje, and Tokyo.